Re: Building PDFs error: \pdfendlink ended up in different nesting level than \pd

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Building PDFs error: \pdfendlink ended up in different nesting level than \pd
Date: 2011-01-28 15:11:16
Lists: pgsql-docs

Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Thanks for looking into this further. Both the -US and -A4 PDFs are
> still failing for me on a recent git checkout including your change to
> catalog.sgml.

Hmph. HEAD does build both US and A4 sizes for me, using current Fedora
13 docs toolchain. But given what we now know, it could be sensitive to
fairly small deltas in the toolchain, since any small change in spacing
decisions might create or remove a problem.

> I looked around line 1390679 of postgres-US.tex-pdf, where I saw this
> snippet from seg.sgml:
> (spaces around the range operator are ignored)

Well, you're getting a lot further anyway ;-). But it's real curious
that you seem to be hitting these more easily than anyone else ever has.
I wonder if there's something about your toolchain that makes the issue
more probable.

Something we might consider doing to try to make this more stable is to
see if we can force more page breaks in the PDF output. That would
isolate each chapter or section from changes in others.