Re: BUG #1878: Different execution plans for the same query.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Alexei" <alexei_novakov(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1878: Different execution plans for the same query.
Date: 2005-09-13 04:50:52
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Alexei" <alexei_novakov(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> .... Although the result
> of the query always was correct whichever plan it's using. I repete - I did
> not do anything between queries, but just ran the same 'explain select ...'
> sequentially. The query itself is heavy, but pretty strightforward - 2
> tables joined 12 times.

With 12 tables you'll be using the geqo optimizer by default, and it has
a random component to the plans by design. It's a bit disappointing
that it doesn't consistently find plans of about the same quality
though. Can you provide a complete test case? (No, the bare text of
a query isn't a test case...)