Re: [HACKERS] Bgwriter behavior

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Bgwriter behavior
Date: 2005-01-01 18:22:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> o everyone agrees the current meaning of bgwriter_percent is
> useless (percent of dirty buffers)

Oh?

It's not useless by any means; it's a perfectly reasonable and useful
definition that happens to be expensive to implement. One of the
questions that is not answered to my satisfaction is what is an adequate
substitute that doesn't lose needed functionality.

> o bgwriter_percent and bgwriter_maxpages are duplicate for a
> given number of buffers and it isn't clear which one takes
> precedence.

Not unless the current definition of bgwriter_percent is changed.

Please try to make sure that your summaries reduce confusion instead
of increasing it.