Re: Cygwin PostgreSQL Regression Test Problems (Revisited)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cygwin PostgreSQL Regression Test Problems (Revisited)
Date: 2001-03-28 18:57:33
Lists: pgsql-ports

Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com> writes:
> I previously reported the above problem with the parallel version of
> the regression test (i.e., make check) on a machine with limited memory.
> Unfortunately, I am seeing similar problems on a machine with 192 MB of
> physical memory and about 208 MB of swap space. So, now I feel that my
> initial conclusion that limited memory was the root cause is erroneous.

Not necessarily. 18 parallel tests imply 54 concurrent processes
(a shell, a psql, and a backend per test). Depending on whether Windoze
is any good about sharing sharable pages across processes, it's not hard
at all to believe that each process might chew up a few meg of memory
and/or swap. You don't have a whole lot of headroom there if so.

Try modifying the parallel_schedule file to break the largest set of
concurrent tests down into two sets of nine tests.

Considering that we've seen people run into maxuprc limits on some Unix
versions, I wonder whether we ought to just do that across-the-board.

> What is the best way to "catch" this problem? What are the best set of
> options to pass to postmaster that will be in turn passed to the back-end
> postgres processes to hopefully shed some light on this situation?

I'd use -d1 which should be enough to see backends starting and exiting.
Any more will clutter the log with individual queries, which probably
would be more detail than you really want...