Re: reducing the overhead of frequent table locks - now, with WIP patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: reducing the overhead of frequent table locks - now, with WIP patch
Date: 2011-06-07 19:45:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I plead guilty to taking my eye off the ball post-beta1. I busted my
> ass for two months stabilizing other people's code after CF4 was over,
> and then I moved on to other things. I will try to get my eye back on
> the ball - but actually I'm not sure there's all that much to do. A
> quick review of the open items list suggests that we have fixed a
> total of six issues since beta1, as opposed to 47 prior to beta1. And
> all of those are being handled (two by you). I also don't see much in
> the way of unanswered 9.1 bug reports on pgsql-bugs, either. There
> may well be other open items, and I'm not unwilling to work on them,
> but I don't read minds. What needs doing?

Well, right at the moment there's not that much (if there were, I'd not
have proposed wrapping beta2 in two days). You could look at some of
the "not blocker" items on the open-items list --- we really ought to
either do those things, or punt them off to TODO or the next CF as
appropriate, sometime before 9.1 final.