Re: Docbook 5.x

From: Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jürgen Purtz <juergen(at)purtz(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Docbook 5.x
Date: 2017-09-27 16:11:29
Lists: pgsql-docs

Hello,
27.09.2017 18:38, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 9/20/17 09:00, Alexander Lakhin wrote:
>> I would like to place such alternate text in an attribute
>> "standalonetext" or alike, but DocBook 4.x doesn't allow for extra
>> attributes, so we need to choose from:
>> http://tdg.docbook.org/tdg/4.5/ref-elements.html#common.attributes
>> So I decided to make alternative use of xreflabel attribute. (I believe
>> that we could find something more appropriate after migrating from
>> Docbook 4.2 to 5.x).)
> Yeah, but that's a bit of a hack isn't it? I also don't see anything in
> DocBook 5 that indicates to me that we could get rid of that hack then.
I found a more appropriate way for using an extra attribute:
http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/AddProfileAtt.htm
I've tested it with "standalone" attribute and it works (for Docbook 4.2).
May be it will decrease hackiness level of the solution?
If it's not too late I could prepare a new patchset today.
> In the interest of moving things along, I have committed my patch and
> will continue working on the rest of the patch set.
>
> Improvements are welcome and can be submitted separately, but I think
> it's hardly worth it because this stuff changes so rarely.
But with such approach we should translate that .xsl too and it seems
rather strange, isn't it?

------
Alexander Lakhin
The Russian Postgres Company