Re: query question really cant give a summary here so read the body ; -)

From: "Rhys Stewart" <rhys(dot)stewart(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: query question really cant give a summary here so read the body ; -)
Date: 2008-04-25 16:56:51
Lists: pgsql-general

Indeed, I will endeavour to limit the length of my replies, although my
extemporaneous nature, while ranting, will invariably result in prolonged
discourse on my part . I am also grateful for your willingness to assist and
saddened that you are ill. I do hope you recovery quickly.

The example I provided earlier was a very simplified model of the table I'm
working with after a self join. The table in question contains geographic
data (linestrings) and I have written a function to return a textual
representation so that I can easily identify lines with similar
configuration. I want to now select lines that are in close proximity to
each other and have the same configuration. So this requires a self join
(afaik). So, short of a function like the one that was posited earlier, is
there a method using just plain old sql to get the results I desire?

I trust the length and content of this reply is to your liking. :-)

The DDL is below and is followed by the self join that I used, if there is
room for improvement wrt the format/shcema of the table I am open to
suggestions.

Rhys

Peace & Love|Live Long & Prosper
CREATE TABLE subsumed_secondary ( geom geometry, id serial NOT NULL,
CONSTRAINT subsumed_secondary_pkey PRIMARY KEY (id))