Re: Proposal: http2 wire format

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Damir Simunic <damir(dot)simunic(at)wa-research(dot)ch>, Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov(dot)vladimir(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal: http2 wire format
Date: 2018-03-28 13:59:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> A few random, very tired, points:

> - consolidated message for common tasks:
> - (bind, [describe?,] execute) to reduce overhead of prepared
> statement execution (both in messages, as well as branches)
> - (anonymous parse, bind, describe, execute) to make it cheaper to
> send statements with out-of-line parameters

I do not see a need for this; you can already send those combinations of
messages in a single network packet if you have a mind to. Tatsuo-san's
point about making it easier to identify which response goes with which
message would improve life for people trying to send multiple messages
in advance of a response, though.

Your other points are sound, except I have no idea what this means: