Re: Bugtraq: Having Fun With PostgreSQL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Bugtraq: Having Fun With PostgreSQL
Date: 2007-06-24 15:55:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com> writes:
> On Jun 23, 2007, at 11:03 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> Out of curiosity, how do other databases deal with this?

> MySQL installs with an empty root password for access from
> localhost or the machines own IP address. It also installs an
> account with network access to any database beginning with
> "test" and possibly some more ill-defined accounts with local
> access.

FWIW, on mysql 5.0.42 I see only "root(at)localhost" and "root(at)127(dot)0(dot)0(dot)1"
in a fresh-out-of-the-box installation; not sure where you got these
other accounts, maybe a distro-specific modification?

But the bottom line is that mysql's out-of-the-box behavior is
*exactly* like our trust-for-local-connections behavior. Anyone
on the box can do "mysql -u root ..." and the server will accept
them as being superuser (they don't even have to know to enter an
empty password, in my experience).