Re: [HACKERS] flock patch breaks things here

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] flock patch breaks things here
Date: 1998-10-30 16:43:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
>> I think the end consensus of that thread was that we should move the
>> socket file to someplace safer than /tmp (exactly where being a
>> configure-time choice), *and* optionally put a softlink to it in /tmp
>> for backwards compatibility with old clients.

> Just a reminder that if you move it, all clients must know the new
> location, or somehow the location must be accessable by the clients.

That's why I said *configure* time choice. The socket location has to
be compiled into both frontends and backends. But there's no reason
why the location couldn't be set during site configure, rather than
being hard-wired as /tmp/.s.PGSQL.####.

Supporting a softlink in /tmp would be helpful if an installation
doesn't want to rebuild all their existing frontend apps right away
(or at least all the ones that are on the server's local machine and use
Unix-socket connections). Fortunately, cross-machine connections don't
use the socket file, or it wouldn't really be practical to make the
socket location site-dependent.