Re: nested transactions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg(at)aon(dot)at>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: nested transactions
Date: 2002-11-29 02:29:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I should add that I am not prepared to overhaul the pg_clog file format
> as part of adding subtransactions for 7.4. I can do the tid/sequential scan
> method for abort, or the single-lock method described.

If you think that changing the pg_clog file format would be harder than
either of those other ideas, I think you're very badly mistaken.
pg_clog is touched only by one rather simple module.

I think the other methods will be completely unacceptable from a
performance point of view. They could maybe work if subtransactions
were a seldom-used feature; but the people who want to use 'em are
mostly talking about a subtransaction for *every* command. If you
design your implementation on the assumption that subtransactions are
infrequent, it will be unusably slow.