Re: Replication Syatem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: fche(at)redhat(dot)com (Frank Ch(dot) Eigler)
Cc: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, Gauri Kanekar <meetgaurikanekar(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Replication Syatem
Date: 2008-04-30 15:02:39
Lists: pgsql-performance

fche(at)redhat(dot)com (Frank Ch. Eigler) writes:
>> Also, you need to make sure you have the FSM parameters set high enough
>> so that all the free space found by a VACUUM run can be remembered.

> Would it be difficult to arrange FSM parameters to be automatically
> set from the VACUUM reclaim results?

Yeah, because the problem is that FSM is kept in shared memory which
cannot be resized on-the-fly.

In retrospect, trying to keep FSM in shared memory was a spectacularly
bad idea (one for which I take full blame). There is work afoot to
push it out to disk so that the whole problem goes away; so I don't see
much point in worrying about band-aid solutions.