Re: PostgreSQL CVS does not compile under Cygwin (was Re: Cygwin test ...)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
Cc: Pgsql-Cygwin <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL CVS does not compile under Cygwin (was Re: Cygwin test ...)
Date: 2001-08-21 17:39:45
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net> writes:
> The first attachment is the root cause of this problem. If I revert
> pgconnection.h to version 1.11, then Cygwin PostgreSQL (i.e., libpq++)
> builds cleanly again.

Hmm. What does it mean to attach a DLLIMPORT label to a class, anyway?
Is it meaningful to do so on Cygwin (as opposed to bare WIN32)?

> I tried to build the Win32 stuff to see if the native libpq++ would build
> cleanly without the DLLIMPORT. Unfortunately, the Win32 build seems to
> be broken too... See second attachment. Note that I can build 7.1.2
> under MSVC++. Has the procedure for 7.2 changed?

No, but libpq's CVS tip is busted on WIN32. See ongoing discussions
about fixing errno and strerror() handling on WIN32. One way or another
we'll have it fixed soon.

BTW, I have no idea whether libpq++ (as opposed to libpq) has ever built
on WIN32 in the past. The changes you are mentioning seem to be a
recent attempt to make it do so, which evidently needs further thought.