Re: [HACKERS] Perl library (was Building Postgres)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Perl library (was Building Postgres)
Date: 1999-06-29 02:04:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu> writes:
> ... Assuming that the code generated is a bit
> more tolerant of version changes in perl,

I believe that's nearly as risky as hardwiring the install path.
For example, we already know that the existing perl5 interface
*source* code is broken for the latest Perl releases (5.005something),
nevermind trying to make the object code compatible. (I'm going
to try to figure out whether we can tweak the source to work under
either version ... it may take conditional compilation :-( ... if
anyone else is in a bigger hurry than me, be my guest ...)

> One possibility is to
> simply lift all of the perl5 source tree into the rpm, and actually do
> the build on the target machine from scratch. afaik, this is *not* the
> preferred style for rpms.

It may be swimming upstream in the RPM culture, but it should work
and work reliably. *Not* doing the expected configuration on the
target machine will be swimming upstream in the Perl culture, and
I'll wager that the undertow is a lot more dangerous in that case.