Re: NULL checks of deferenced pointers in picksplit method of intarray

From: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: NULL checks of deferenced pointers in picksplit method of intarray
Date: 2015-02-16 21:49:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Coverity is pointing out that _int_split.c has unnecessary checks
> for deferenced pointers in 5 places.

> Attached is a patch to adjust those things.

Pushed. Thanks!

> Also, as far as I understood from this code, no elements
> manipulated are NULL, perhaps this is worth an assertion?

I'm not clear where you were thinking of, but anyway that seemed
like a separate patch if we're going to do it, so I went ahead with
pushing the issued Coverity flagged. The arguments to the function
don't need such a check because the function is exposed to SQL with
the STRICT option (but you probably already knew that). While
reviewing the safety of this patch the only place that I ran across
that I felt maybe deserved an assertion was that n >= 0 near the
top of copy_intArrayType(), but that seems marginal.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com