Re: Document that server will start even if it's unable to open some TCP/IP ports

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com, gurjeet(at)singh(dot)im, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Document that server will start even if it's unable to open some TCP/IP ports
Date: 2023-06-14 03:11:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> If I had to say, I would feel it rather surprising if server
> successfully starts even when any explicitly-specified port can't be
> opened (which is the current case).

There is certainly an argument that such a condition indicates that
something's very broken in our configuration and we should complain.
But I'm not sure how exciting the case is in practice. The systemd
guys would really like us to be willing to come up before any network
interfaces are up, and then auto-listen to those interfaces when they
do come up. On the other hand, the situation with Unix sockets is
much more static: if you can't make a socket in /tmp or /var/run at
the instant of postmaster start, it's unlikely you will be able to do
so later.

Maybe we need different rules for TCP versus Unix-domain sockets?
I'm not sure what exactly, but lumping those cases together for
a discussion like this feels wrong.