Re: Rename max_parallel_degree?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Rename max_parallel_degree?
Date: 2016-06-08 14:18:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 06/07/2016 11:01 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
>> Here's a patch change max_parallel_degree to
>> max_parallel_workers_per_gather, and also changing parallel_degree to
>> parallel_workers. I haven't tackled adding a separate
>> max_parallel_workers, at least not yet. Are people OK with this?

> +1

I've not read the patch in detail, but this sketch of what to do
sounds fine.

>> Note that there is a dump/restore hazard if people have set the
>> parallel_degree reloption on a beta1 install, or used ALTER { USER |
>> DATABASE } .. SET parallel_degree. Can everybody live with that?
>> Should I bump catversion when applying this?

> IMHO, we just need to call it out in the beta2 announcement.

catversion is not relevant to GUC changes. It's not really necessary,
because you'd get a clean, easily diagnosed and repaired failure during
postmaster startup anyway. The point of bumping catversion is to prevent
a postmaster starting when the incompatibility is subtler or harder to
debug than that.