Re: snapshot too old, configured by time

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Steve Singer <steve(at)ssinger(dot)info>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: snapshot too old, configured by time
Date: 2016-03-30 16:37:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I think a safer proposition would be to replace all current
> BufferGetPage() calls (there are about 500) by adding the necessary
> arguments: buffer, snapshot, rel, and an integer "flags". All this
> without adding the feature. Then a subsequent commit would add the
> TestForOldSnapshot inside BufferGetPage, *except* when a
> BUFFER_NO_SNAPSHOT_TEST flag is passed. That way, new code always get
> the snapshot test by default.

That seems awfully invasive, not to mention performance-killing if
the expectation is that most such calls are going to need a snapshot
check. (Quite aside from the calls themselves, are they all in
routines that are being passed the right snapshot today?)

TBH, I think that shoving in something like this at the end of the last
commitfest would be a bad idea even if there were widespread consensus
that we wanted the feature ... which I am not sure there is.

I think it might be time to bounce this one to 9.7.