Re: BUG #3883: Autovacuum deadlock with truncate?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Steven Flatt" <steven(dot)flatt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3883: Autovacuum deadlock with truncate?
Date: 2008-01-18 01:19:53
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Steven Flatt" <steven(dot)flatt(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On 1/17/08, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> What I think might be happening is a three-way deadlock involving these
>> two and a third process that has the desired buffer lock. Have you got
>> anything else that seems to be stuck?

> Don't see a third process that is stuck...

Hmm. The only other theory I can think of is that some process forgot
about a buffer pin it was holding, or the wakeup signal to release the
autovac process somehow got lost; either of which would be significant
bugs.

Do you still have the hung processes available? It would be really
useful to take a look at the buffer header that the autovac process's
LockBufferForCleanup() is working on. (In gdb, "f 3" then "p *bufHdr")