Re: New tzdata available

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Trevor Talbot <quension(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)sun(dot)com>, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New tzdata available
Date: 2007-11-09 07:26:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 05:46:08PM -0800, Trevor Talbot wrote:
>> I've been wondering lately why it isn't just stored in the database somewhere.

> That's a different question. One reason is that we wanted files compatible
> with the stuff that was included in the zic library.

I think the one lesson we have entirely absorbed is that we don't want
to be in-the-loop for timezone updates. I don't see how keeping the
info "inside" the DB would help that.

Plan B would be to take out contracts on all the banana-republic
politicians who think that changing DST laws with a month's notice
is a pleasant pastime. I fear we lack the resources for that,
unfortunately.