Re: Postgres gets stuck

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Craig A(dot) James" <cjames(at)modgraph-usa(dot)com>
Cc: Chris <dmagick(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres gets stuck
Date: 2006-05-12 00:03:26
Lists: pgsql-performance

"Craig A. James" <cjames(at)modgraph-usa(dot)com> writes:
> My suspicion is that it's an incompatibility between malloc()
> libraries.

On Linux there's only supposed to be one malloc, ie, glibc's version.
On other platforms I'd be worried about threaded vs non-threaded libc
(because the backend is not threaded), but not Linux.

There may be a more basic threading problem here, though, rooted in the
precise fact that the backend isn't threaded. If you're trying to use
any libraries that assume they can have multiple threads, I wouldn't be
at all surprised to see things go boom. C++ exception handling could be
problematic too.

Or it could be a garden variety glibc bug. How up-to-date is your
platform?