Re: Resultset holdability

From: Geert Bevin <gbevin(at)uwyn(dot)com>
To: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Resultset holdability
Date: 2005-10-21 21:33:08
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On 21-okt-05, at 23:02, Oliver Jowett wrote:

> Geert Bevin wrote:
>

>> I have a resultset that has many rows with bytea data.
>> It looks like me that when I iterate through the rows, the
>> previous rows are only garbage collectable when the resultset is
>> closed, even if I setup the statement like this:
>> statement.setFetchDirection(ResultSet.FETCH_FORWARD);
>> statement.setFetchSize(1);
>> Since it's bytea data, this fills up the memory very quickly. Any
>> thoughts on how to reduce this memory overhead and have the
>> resultset discard any previously fetched data?

Btw, it definitely is the resultset, since instead of using it to
iterate through the results I tried doing it by running a prepared
statement for each row and obtaining the results like this. The
frontend logic remained the same and I have no memory problems
anymore, except that there are an awful lot of queries now :-(

> What driver version are you using?

I tried with both 8.0-313 JDBC 3 and 8.1dev-402 JDBC 3

> What server version are you using?

8.0.3

> Have you turned autocommit off?

No

--
Geert Bevin Uwyn bvba
"Use what you need" Avenue de Scailmont 34

PGP Fingerprint : 4E21 6399 CD9E A384 6619 719A C8F4 D40D 309F D6A9
Public PGP key : available at servers pgp.mit.edu, wwwkeys.pgp.net