Re: Statement timeout behavior in extended queries

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com, david(at)fetter(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Statement timeout behavior in extended queries
Date: 2017-04-05 04:39:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2017-04-05 10:05:19 +0900, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
>> What's your point of the question? What kind of problem do you expect
>> if the timeout starts only once at the first parse meesage out of
>> bunch of parse messages?

> It's perfectly valid to send a lot of Parse messages without
> interspersed Sync or Bind/Execute message. There'll be one timeout
> covering all of those Parse messages, which can thus lead to a timeout,
> even though nothing actually takes long individually.

It might well be reasonable to redefine statement_timeout as limiting the
total time from the first client input to the response to Sync ... but
if that's what we're doing, let's make sure we do it consistently.

I haven't read the patch, but the comments in this thread make me fear
that it's introducing some ad-hoc, inconsistent behavior.