Re: pasting into psql garbles text

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pasting into psql garbles text
Date: 2009-06-27 20:28:36
Lists: pgsql-general

Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I confirmed that xterm does not exhibit the issue. So this is at
> least partially a terminal problem. However, xterm does not directly
> accept pastes from wine clipboard apparently. it only works if I copy
> it to gedit first, then into xterm.

> The _only_ terminal application that exhibits this behavior is psql.
> specifically, vim does not.

FWIW, I have noticed a limitation on how much can be pasted into psql
without freezing it (not more than a few hundred characters, for me).
It's not "garbled" ... psql just gets stuck and has to be SIGTERM'd.
However, there's enough stuff in the chain that I'm not sure
psql/readline is (solely) to blame --- I'm typically working through
a remote xterm over an ssh'd X11 connection.