Re: Antw: Re: 8.3beta2 fails to compile on Centos5 x86_64

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marcel Gsteiger" <Marcel(dot)Gsteiger(at)milprog(dot)ch>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsqlrpms-hackers(at)pgfoundry(dot)org
Subject: Re: Antw: Re: 8.3beta2 fails to compile on Centos5 x86_64
Date: 2007-11-11 15:18:50
Lists: pgsql-ports

"Marcel Gsteiger" <Marcel(dot)Gsteiger(at)milprog(dot)ch> writes:
>> Hmm. I suspect either we're short a BuildRequire or two, or you missed
>> something that's considered part of the standard minimum build
>> environment. The "exceptions" list on this page shows what Red Hat
>> considers the core set of packages that needn't be BuildRequire'd:

>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Exceptions

>> However, none of those look particularly likely to result in the
>> failure you're seeing here :-(. Could you send along the config.log
>> output?

> Thanks for your tip. In fact, my "basic packages, customize later"-type install from DVD did not install the following packages from the mentioned list:

> gcc-c++
> libstdc++-devel
> redhat-rpm-config

> After I have installed these, everything now works perfectly.

Interesting. We don't do any C++ stuff, so I would hope that the first
two of those are irrelevant. redhat-rpm-config, however, might well be
relevant. I remember Devrim running into an odd build failure on a
machine where it wasn't installed.

I wonder if it'd be worth explicitly BuildRequire'ing redhat-rpm-config
in the PGDG SRPM? I don't feel the need to do it in Fedora/RHEL,
because as mentioned there's an explicit policy not to for those
projects. But it seems the PGDG RPMs get rebuilt in a rather wider
variety of environments.