Re: LOCK for non-tables

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: LOCK for non-tables
Date: 2011-01-15 20:37:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 10:25 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I suggest also marking each item with a release in which we intend to do
>> it, so we don't have to try to remember whether a reasonable amount of
>> time has elapsed.

> You mean like the way the 9.1devel documentation says that
> contrib/xml2 will be removed in 8.4? I wonder if we'll do anything
> either about deprecating the module or about changing the
> documentation before 8.4 is EOL.

Well, that one is a special case, because we knew perfectly well that we
hadn't replaced all the functionality of xml2 (and we still haven't).
I think the "official" deprecation list should only contain items for
which there's no blocking issue other than wanting to give users time to
migrate to an existing alternate solution.