Re: SQL/JSON revisited (documentation)

From: Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, e(dot)indrupskaya(at)postgrespro(dot)ru
Subject: Re: SQL/JSON revisited (documentation)
Date: 2023-04-12 04:43:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

IS JSON is documented as:

expression IS [ NOT ] JSON
[ { VALUE | SCALAR | ARRAY | OBJECT } ]
[ { WITH | WITHOUT } UNIQUE [ KEYS ] ]

which is fine but 'VALUE' is nowhere mentioned
(except in the commit-message as: IS JSON [VALUE] )

Unless I'm mistaken 'VALUE' does indeed not change an IS JSON statement,
so to document we could simply insert this line (as in the attached):

"The VALUE key word is optional noise."

Somewhere in its text in func.sgml, which is now:

"This predicate tests whether expression can be parsed as JSON, possibly
of a specified type. If SCALAR or ARRAY or OBJECT is specified, the
test is whether or not the JSON is of that particular type. If WITH
UNIQUE KEYS is specified, then any object in the expression is also
tested to see if it has duplicate keys."

Erik Rijkers

Attachment Content-Type Size
func.sgml.20230412.txt text/plain 568 bytes