Re: Two small patches for the isolationtester lexer

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Two small patches for the isolationtester lexer
Date: 2018-02-21 21:10:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote;
> Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> writes:
>> I also (again) forgot about the # comments not being allowed inside setup and
>> teardown blocks, so patch 0002 proposes adding support for these as the
>> documentation implies.

> Hmm, not sure this is a good idea. # is a valid SQL operator name, so
> doing this would create some risk of breaking legal queries.

Actually, looking closer, this would also trigger on '#' used inside a
SQL literal, which seems to move the problem cases into the "pretty
likely" category instead of the "far-fetched" one. So I'd only be OK
with it if we made the lexer smart enough to distinguish inside-a-SQL-
literal from not. That might be a good thing anyway, since it would
allow us to not choke on literals containing '}', but it'd be a great
deal more work. You might be able to steal code from the psql lexer
though.