Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix pg_dump to dump shell types.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix pg_dump to dump shell types.
Date: 2015-08-10 23:29:04
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
>> This was probably just copied from how proacl and lanacl are handled,
>> which predate typacl by quite a bit. Maybe there was a reason in those
>> days.

> Hm ... I wonder whether those are well-thought-out either.

They're not. Testing with ancient servers shows that we dump very silly
grant/revoke state for functions and languages as well, if the source
server is too old to have proacl or lanacl (ie, pre-7.3). As with typacl,
the silliness is accidentally masked as long as the owner doesn't do
something like revoke the privileges granted to PUBLIC.

Things work far more sanely with the attached patch, to wit we just leave
all object privileges as default if dumping from a version too old to have
privileges on that type of object. I think we should back-patch this into
all supported branches; it's considerably more likely that older branches
would be used to dump from ancient servers.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
fix-dumping-of-old-privileges.patch text/x-diff 11.8 KB