Re: WAL file location

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WAL file location
Date: 2002-07-30 20:17:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org> writes:
> Having said all that, I still believe that this is something tailor-made for
> postgresql.conf.

Well, exactly. Regardless of how serious you may think the security
argument is, it still remains that a config-file entry seems the ideal
way to do it. I can't see any good argument in favor of relying on
environment variables instead. They don't bring any new functionality
to the party; and we have an awful lot of work invested in putting all
sorts of functionality into the GUC module. I think that doing
configuration-like stuff outside the GUC framework is now something that
we should resist --- or at least have a darn good reason for it when we
do it.