Re: COnsidering a move away from Postgres

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jason Tesser <jtesser(at)nbbc(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: COnsidering a move away from Postgres
Date: 2005-06-30 14:20:11
Lists: pgsql-general

Jason Tesser <jtesser(at)nbbc(dot)edu> writes:
> 1. Our dev plan involves alot of stored procedures to be used and we have
> found the way this is done in PG to be painful. (ie. To return multiple
> record from different tables you have to define a type.

FWIW, this won't be essential any more in 8.1. See the examples in the
development documentation:
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/xfunc-sql.html#XFUNC-OUTPUT-PARAMETERS
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/plpgsql-declarations.html#PLPGSQL-DECLARATION-ALIASES
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/plpgsql-control-structures.html#PLPGSQL-STATEMENTS-RETURNING

> 2. Also with stored procs it is painful to return mulitple records. The syntax
> is more complicated than some other databases. (We are currently using
> PL/SQL)

What's so hard about RETURN NEXT? What would you rather have?

> 3. The tools. PgAdmin does some things well but it is lacking the features of
> some of the other gui tools.

I'm sure the pgAdmin guys would love having some more help.