Patch: Global Unique Index

From: Cary Huang <cary(dot)huang(at)highgo(dot)ca>
To: "Pgsql Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Patch: Global Unique Index
Date: 2022-11-17 22:01:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Patch: Global Unique Index

“Global unique index” in our definition is a unique index on a partitioned table that can ensure cross-partition uniqueness using a non-partition key. This work is inspired by this email thread, “Proposal: Global Index” started back in 2019 (Link below). My colleague David and I took a different approach to implement the feature that ensures uniqueness constraint spanning multiple partitions. We achieved this mainly by using application logics without heavy modification to current Postgres’s partitioned table/index structure. In other words, a global unique index and a regular partitioned index are essentially the same in terms of their storage structure except that one can do cross-partition uniqueness check, the other cannot.

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CALtqXTcurqy1PKXzP9XO%3DofLLA5wBSo77BnUnYVEZpmcA3V0ag%40mail.gmail.com

- Patch -

The attached patches were generated based on commit `85d8b30724c0fd117a683cc72706f71b28463a05` on master branch.

- Benefits of global unique index -

1. Ensure uniqueness spanning all partitions using a non-partition key column

2. Allow user to create a unique index on a non-partition key column without the need to include partition key (current Postgres enforces this)

3. Query performance increase when using a single unique non-partition key column

- Supported Features -

1. Global unique index is supported only on btree index type

2. Global unique index is useful only when created on a partitioned table.

3. Cross-partition uniqueness check with CREATE UNIQUE INDEX in serial and parallel mode

4. Cross-partition uniqueness check with ATTACH in serial and parallel mode

5. Cross-partition uniqueness check when INSERT and UPDATE

- Not-supported Features -

1. Global uniqueness check with Sub partition tables is not yet supported as we do not have immediate use case and it may involve majoy change in current implementation

- Global unique index syntax -

A global unique index can be created with "GLOBAL" and "UNIQUE" clauses in a "CREATE INDEX" statement run against a partitioned table. For example,

CREATE UNIQUE INDEX global_index ON idxpart(bid) GLOBAL;

- New Relkind: RELKIND_GLOBAL_INDEX -

When a global unique index is created on a partitioned table, its relkind is RELKIND_PARTITIONED_INDEX (I). This is the same as creating a regular index. Then Postgres will recursively create index on each child partition, except now the relkind will be set as RELKIND_GLOBAL_INDEX (g) instead of RELKIND_INDEX (i). This new relkind, along with uniqueness flag are needed for cross-partition uniqueness check later.

- Create a global unique index -

To create a regular unique index on a partitioned table, Postgres has to perform heap scan and sorting on every child partition. Uniqueness check happens during the sorting phase and will raise an error if multiple tuples with the same index key are sorted together. To achieve global uniqueness check, we make Postgres perform the sorting after all of the child partitions have been scanned instead of on the "sort per partition" fashion. In otherwords, the sorting only happens once at the very end and it sorts the tuples coming from all the partitions and therefore can ensure global uniqueness.

In parallel index build case, the idea is the same, except that the tuples will be put into shared file set (temp files) on disk instead of in memory to ensure other workers can share the sort results. At the end of the very last partition build, we make Postgres take over all the temp files and perform a final merge sort to ensure global uniqueness.

Example:

> CREATE TABLE gidx_part(a int, b int, c text) PARTITION BY RANGE (a);

> CREATE TABLE gidx_part1 PARTITION OF gidx_part FOR VALUES FROM (0) to (10);

> CREATE TABLE gidx_part2 PARTITION OF gidx_part FOR VALUES FROM (10) to (20);

> INSERT INTO gidx_part values(5, 5, 'test');

> INSERT INTO gidx_part values(15, 5, 'test');

> CREATE UNIQUE INDEX global_unique_idx ON gidx_part(b) GLOBAL;

ERROR:  could not create unique index "gidx_part1_b_idx"

DETAIL:  Key (b)=(5) is duplicated.

- INSERT and UPDATE -

For every new tuple inserted or updated, Postgres attempts to fetch the same tuple from current partition to determine if a duplicate already exists. In the global unique index case, we make Postgres attempt to fetch the same tuple from other partitions as well as the current partition. If a duplicate is found, global uniqueness is violated and an error is raised.

Example:

> CREATE TABLE gidx_part (a int, b int, c text) PARTITION BY RANGE (a);

> CREATE TABLE gidx_part1 partition of gidx_part FOR VALUES FROM (0) TO (10);

> CREATE TABLE gidx_part2 partition of gidx_part FOR VALUES FROM (10) TO (20);

> CREATE UNIQUE INDEX global_unique_idx ON gidx_part USING BTREE(b) GLOBAL;

> INSERT INTO gidx_part values(5, 5, 'test');

> INSERT INTO gidx_part values(15, 5, 'test');

ERROR:  duplicate key value violates unique constraint "gidx_part1_b_idx"

DETAIL:  Key (b)=(5) already exists.

- ATTACH -

The new partition-to-be may already contain a regular unique index or contain no index at all. If it has no index, Postgres will create a similar index for it upon ATTACH. If the partitioned table has a global unique index, a new global unique index is automatically created on the partition-to-be upon ATTACH, and it will run a global uniqueness check between all current partitions and the partition-to-be.

If the partition-to-be already contains a regular unique index, Postgres will change its relkind from RELKIND_INDEX to RELKIND_GLOBAL_INDEX and run a global uniqueness check between all current partitions and the partition-to-be. No new index is created in this case

If a duplicate record is found, global uniqueness is violated and an error is raised.

- DETACH -

Since we retain the same partitioned structure, detaching a partition with global unique index is straightforward. Upon DETACH, Postgres will change its relkind from RELKIND_GLOBAL_INDEX to RELKIND_INDEX and remove their inheritance relationship as usual.

- Optimizer, query planning and vacuum -

Since no major modification is done on global unique index's structure and storage, it works in the same way as a regular partitioned index. No major change is required to be done on optimizer, planner and vacuum process as they should work in the same way as regular index.

- REINDX -

A global unique index can be reindexed normally just like a regular index. No cross-partition uniqueness check is performed while a global unique index is being rebuilt. This is okay as long as it acquired a exclusive lock on the index relation.

- Benchmark Result -

Using pgbench with 200 partitions running SELECT and READ-WRITE tests with a unique non-partition key, we observe orders of magnitude higher TPS compared to a regular unique index built with partition key restriction (multicolumn index).

- TODOs -

Since this is a POC patch, there is several TODOs related to user experience such as:

    1. Raise error when user uses CREATE UNIQUE INDEX with ON ONLY clause

    2. Raise error when user tries to create a global unique index directly on a child partition

    3. ... maybe more

We will work on these at a later time.

thank you

Please let us know your thoughts or questions about the feature.

All comments are welcome and greatly appreciated!

David and Cary

HighGo Software Canada

http://www.highgo.ca

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-support-global-unique-index-with-non-partition-key.patch application/octet-stream 40.9 KB
0002-support-global-unique-index-create.patch application/octet-stream 34.8 KB
0003-support-global-unique-index-attach-and-detach.patch application/octet-stream 13.2 KB
0004-support-global-unique-index-insert-and-update.patch application/octet-stream 12.7 KB