Re: POC: converting Lists into arrays

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: POC: converting Lists into arrays
Date: 2019-02-26 05:34:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> Using the attached patch (as text file so as not to upset the CFbot),
> which basically just measures and logs the time taken to run
> pg_plan_query. ...
> Surprisingly it took 1.13% longer. I did these tests on an AWS
> md5.large instance.

Interesting. Seems to suggest that maybe the cases I discounted
as being infrequent aren't so infrequent? Another possibility
is that the new coding adds more cycles to foreach() loops than
I'd hoped for.

Anyway, it's just a POC; the main point at this stage is to be
able to make such comparisons at all. If it turns out that we
*can't* make this into a win, then all that bellyaching about
how inefficient Lists are was misinformed ...