Re: two shared memory segments?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Ed L(dot)" <pgsql(at)bluepolka(dot)net>
Cc: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: two shared memory segments?
Date: 2005-12-22 03:24:52
Lists: pgsql-general

"Ed L." <pgsql(at)bluepolka(dot)net> writes:
> I have a cluster configured for ~800MB of shared memory cache
> (shared_buffers = 100000), but ipcs shows TWO shared memory
> segments of ~800MB belonging to that postmaster. What kind of
> a problem do I have here?

I'd say that you had a backend crash, causing the postmaster to abandon
the original shared memory segment and make a new one, but the old
segment is still attached to by a couple of processes.

There was a bug awhile back whereby the stats support processes failed
to detach from shared memory and thus would cause a dead shmem segment
to hang around like this. What PG version are you running?