Re: Window Functions: v07 APIs and buffering strateties

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Hitoshi Harada" <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "ITAGAKI Takahiro" <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, "PostgreSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Window Functions: v07 APIs and buffering strateties
Date: 2008-10-28 12:24:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Hitoshi Harada" <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> 2008/10/28 ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>:
>> I tested the patch on mingw (Windows) and
>> got the following warning and error:
>>
>> A. gram.y: conflicts: 3 shift/reduce
>> B. include/nodes/plannodes.h:650: error: syntax error before "uint"
>>
>> I have no idea about A.

> I have noticed it but didn't think it is a problem, but it doesn't
> occur in production, does it?

We have a zero-tolerance policy for bison warnings. Patches that
introduce shift/reduce conflicts *will* be rejected. (And no, %expect
isn't an acceptable fix. The problem with it is you can't be sure
which warnings it ignored. In a grammar that gets hacked on as often
as PG's does, we couldn't rely on the conflicts to not move around,
possibly resulting in unforeseen misbehavior.)