Re: Rethinking behavior of force_parallel_mode = regress

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Rethinking behavior of force_parallel_mode = regress
Date: 2016-06-21 20:41:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 4:49 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> With that thought in mind, I propose that the behavior of
>> force_parallel_mode = regress is ill-designed so far as EXPLAIN is
>> concerned. What it ought to do is suppress *all* Gathers from the output,
>> not just ones that were added in response to force_parallel_mode itself.

> No, that doesn't sound like a very good idea. If you do that, then
> you have no hope of the differences being *zero*, because any place
> that the regression tests are intended to produce a parallel plan is
> going to look different.

Well, sure, but in those areas you just set force_parallel_mode to on.

> The charter of force_parallel_mode=regress
> is that any regression test that passes normally should still pass
> with that setting.

I would like that charter to include scenarios with other nondefault GUC
settings, to the extent we can reasonably make it work, because setting
*only* force_parallel_mode is pretty sad in terms of test coverage.
Or hadn't you noticed all the bugs we flushed from cover as soon as we
tried changing the cost values?