Re: Dependency conflicts on CentOS 4.4

From: "Brian Mathis" <brian(dot)mathis(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tony Caduto" <tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com>
Cc: "Gunnar Wagenknecht" <gunnar(at)wagenknecht(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Dependency conflicts on CentOS 4.4
Date: 2007-01-04 19:10:19
Lists: pgsql-general

On 1/4/07, Tony Caduto <tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com> wrote:

> Gunnar Wagenknecht wrote:

>> Do I need to look for a different 'perl-DBD-Pg' that doesn't depend on

> > 'libpq.so.3' or should 'libpq.so.3' be provided by
> > 'postgresql-libs-8.2.0-2PGDG.i686.rpm'?
> >
> Just make a symbolic link from the shipped libpq.so.5 to libpq.so.3 and
> it should work.
>
> Yum kind of stinks because you can't do a --nodeps or force.
> You might want to download the perl dbd rpm and install manually without
> Yum.
>
> Later,
>
> --
> Tony Caduto

While this may work, it pretty much defeats the purpose of using rpm and yum
to manage your packages. Devrim's suggestion is really the best way to go
(as are most of his suggestions). I have used the compat rpm before, and it
works like a charm.

Usually nodeps and force are there for a reason, defeating them is usually
not what you want.