Re: [HACKERS] PL/Python: How do I use result methods?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
Cc: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PL/Python: How do I use result methods?
Date: 2004-12-05 20:15:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org> writes:
> Any comments on this? The 8.0.0rc1 PL/Python documentation,
> Section 39.3 "Database Access", still mentions the nrows and
> status methods, but they don't work. Here's Oliver's original
> message and my followup:

> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-interfaces/2004-10/msg00019.php
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-interfaces/2004-10/msg00020.php

> I expect it's too late to fix the code for 8.0, so I'm wondering
> if the doc should be updated not to mention these methods, or to
> mention them but say that they don't work yet.

It looks like someone #ifdef'd out those sections after observing that
the PLy_result_methods table isn't used anyplace. Perhaps the place
where it should have been used got lost in some earlier patch?

The fetch() method appears to be stubbed out anyhow, so merely
reconnecting the table doesn't look like it would bring that function
into the ranks of working features anyway. However the other two look
like they might do something useful.

Just out of curiosity, what sort of patch would it take to enable these
functions? If it's at all nontrivial I'd vote to hold over to 8.1,
but if it's a line or two of code that got lost at some point, it would
seem like a reasonable bug fix ...