Re: FATAL: terminating connection due to administrator command

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: "surabhi(dot)ahuja" <surabhi(dot)ahuja(at)iiitb(dot)ac(dot)in>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FATAL: terminating connection due to administrator command
Date: 2006-01-24 14:52:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com> writes:
> surabhi.ahuja wrote:
>> so does this mean that someone is trying to stop postmaster by
>> sending it a kill signal?

> Someone or something. It can be Linux's out-of-memory facility picking
> processes to kill. Google "oom killer" for discussion.

No, because the OOM killer invariably uses "kill -9". "Fast shutdown"
means that something sent the postmaster a SIGINT.

If you launch the postmaster manually and are not careful to make it
dissociate from your terminal, then typing ^C at some unrelated program
later would be enough to make this happen ...

>> 1. many times i have seen two instances of postmaster running. how
>> does that happen and how to prevent it from happening?

> Shouldn't (unless you have two installations of course).

Perhaps he's not understanding the difference between the postmaster and
its child processes? I don't believe he's actually got two postmasters
running (unless maybe in separate directories with separate ports, which
is hardly likely to be a setup one would create by accident). There are
*very* extensive safety interlocks in place to prevent that.