Re: Slow Remote connection

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jean-Arthur Silve <jeanarthur(at)eurovox(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slow Remote connection
Date: 2002-06-24 22:55:22
Lists: pgsql-admin

Jean-Arthur Silve <jeanarthur(at)eurovox(dot)fr> writes:
> I have a httpd server on one server, and PostgresQL 7.2 on a second server
> (P4 1.7 Ghz / Linux ) on a local network.

> When there are about 20 (and more ) connection on the DB, the remote
> connecxtion to the DB from the web server is very long (about 5-10 sec)
> before have the prompt.

> On the local machine, it's near immediate.

Weird. Perhaps something wrong with your DNS setup, causing it to take
a long time to resolve the name of the other machine? Anyway I'd
suspect that the problem is not within Postgres proper, given that
you're not seeing a performance problem with local connections.

Another thing you might try just to obtain more data is to test local
connections that use TCP rather than Unix-socket transport, eg
psql -h 127.0.0.1

> I use IP authentification (no username/password).

You mean "trust"? Please describe your pg_hba contents *exactly*;
this might be a relevant difference ...