Re: Test suite fails on non-default configuration

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Test suite fails on non-default configuration
Date: 2011-04-18 23:12:49
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

> // PostgreSQL defaults to READ COMMITTED
> assertEquals(Connection.TRANSACTION_READ_COMMITTED,
> con.getTransactionIsolation());

> Should the unit tests really be failing based on configuration
> options?

Well, for a comparison point, you can certainly make the server's
regression tests fail too if you whack the configuration around enough.
I agree that the above seems perhaps overly fragile, but I don't think
you can expect to have a general principle that the JDBC tests should
pass regardless of configuration. It's more a question of how painful
is it to support any particular nondefault configuration choice, and
does it seem worth it based on real-world usage of the choice.