Re: pg_upgrade and statistics

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade and statistics
Date: 2012-03-13 04:12:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Copying the statistics from the old server is on the pg_upgrade TODO
> list. I have avoided it because it will add an additional requirement
> that will make pg_upgrade more fragile in case of major version changes.

> Does anyone have a sense of how often we change the statistics data
> between major versions?

I don't think pg_statistic is inherently any more stable than any other
system catalog. We've whacked it around significantly just last week,
which might color my perception a bit, but there are other changes on
the to-do list. (For one example, see nearby complaints about
estimating TOAST-related costs, which we could not fix without adding
more stats data.)