Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Jelte Fennema <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, "shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Jesse Zhang <sbjesse(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Date: 2023-10-28 16:09:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Based on recent experience, where a lot koel's recent complaints seem to
> be about comments, I'd like to suggest a modest adjustment.

> First, we should provide a mode of pgindent that doesn't reflow
> comments. pg_bsd_indent has a flag for this (-nfcb), so this should be
> relatively simple.  Second, koel could use that mode, so that it
> wouldn't complain about comments it thinks need to be reflowed. Of
> course, we'd fix these up with our regular pgindent runs.

Seems like a bit of a kluge. Maybe it's the right thing to do, but
I don't think we have enough data points yet to be confident that
it'd meaningfully reduce the number of breakages.

On a more abstract level: the point of trying to maintain indent
cleanliness is so that if you modify a file and then want to run
pgindent on your own changes, you don't get incidental changes
elsewhere in the file. This solution would break that, so I'm
not sure it isn't throwing the baby out with the bathwater.