Re: Syntax bug? Group by?

From: "Mark Woodward" <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
To: "Shane Ambler" <pgsql(at)007Marketing(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net
Subject: Re: Syntax bug? Group by?
Date: 2006-10-17 17:44:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Stephen Frost wrote:
>
>> select ycis_id, min(tindex), avg(tindex) from y where ycis_id = 15;
>
> But back to the query the issue comes in that the ycis_id value is
> included with the return values requested (a single row value with
> aggregate values that isn't grouped) - if ycis_id is not unique you will
> get x number of returned tuples with ycis_id=15 and the same min() and
> avg() values for each row.
> Removing the ycis_id after the select will return the aggregate values
> you want without the group by.

I still assert that there will always only be one row to this query. This
is an aggregate query, so all the rows with ycis_id = 15, will be
aggregated. Since ycis_id is the identifying part of the query, it should
not need to be grouped.

My question, is it a syntactic technicality that PostgreSQL asks for a
"group by," or a bug in the parser?