Re: AIX support - alignment issues

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: AIX support - alignment issues
Date: 2022-07-05 04:53:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Mon, Jul 4, 2022 at 12:08 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I would not stand in the way of dropping HP-UX and IA64 support as of
>> v16. (I do still feel that HPPA is of interest, to keep us honest
>> about spinlock support --- but that dual-stack arrangement that IA64
>> uses is surely not part of anyone's future.)

> I tried to find everything relating to HP-UX, aCC, ia64 and hppa. Or
> do you still want to keep the hppa bits for NetBSD (I wasn't sure if
> your threat to set up a NetBSD/hppa system was affected by the
> hardware failure you mentioned)?

No, the hardware failure is that the machine's SCSI controller seems
to be fried, thus internal drives no longer accessible. I have a
working NetBSD-current installation on an external USB drive, and plan
to commission it as a buildfarm animal once NetBSD 10 is officially
branched. It'll be a frankencritter of the first order, because
USB didn't exist when the machine was built, but hey...