Re: migration of 7.4 to 8.1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Geoffrey <lists(at)serioustechnology(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: migration of 7.4 to 8.1
Date: 2008-03-13 16:04:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

Geoffrey <lists(at)serioustechnology(dot)com> writes:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> I would avoid 8.3 without extensive testing. 8.2.6 is likely a better
>> shot a minimizing one off incompatibilities.

> We are in a very similar situation in that we are looking to migrate
> from 7.4 to 8.3. So seeing Scott's and Joshua's responses, I'm not sure
> if we should go with 8.2 or 8.3.

7.4 to 8.2 isn't exactly a trivial jump either; there are enough
incompatibilities that could bite you if you don't test your
applications. I don't think JD's argument above holds water.
What does hold water is the observation that 8.3 is still at 8.3.0
(though not for much longer) and has certainly got more bugs today
than recent 8.2.x releases. That should equalize out by, say,
middle of the year. So if you intend to go to production in the
next month or two then 8.2.x is a safer bet. If your release
timeframe is a bit longer, then 8.3.x would be a good choice because
it will perform better and be supported longer. You'd want to be
sure you were on 8.3.latest before going live of course.