Re: failing to build preproc.c on solaris with sun studio

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: failing to build preproc.c on solaris with sun studio
Date: 2022-08-07 02:55:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> writes:
> On Sat, Aug 06, 2022 at 06:09:27PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
>> And it's not a cost free thing to support, e.g. I tried to build because
>> solaris with suncc forces me to generate with_gnu_ld when generating a
>> compatible Makefile.global for pgxs with meson.

> There may be a strong argument along those lines. Let's suppose you were to
> write that revoking sunpro support would save four weeks of Andres Freund time
> in the meson adoption project. I bet a critical mass of people would like
> that trade. That's orthogonal to preproc.o compilation RAM usage.

IMO, it'd be entirely reasonable for Andres to say that *he* doesn't
want to fix the meson build scripts for niche platform X. Then
it'd be up to people who care about platform X to make that happen.
Given the current plan of supporting the Makefiles for some years
more, there wouldn't even be any great urgency in that.