Re: Enforcing database encoding and locale match

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Enforcing database encoding and locale match
Date: 2007-10-01 17:22:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> FWIW I tried this program here, and I get

> C ... ANSI_X3.4-1968 - NO MATCH
> POSIX ... ANSI_X3.4-1968 - NO MATCH

> Note the funny name. Trying initdb with LC_ALL=C correctly uses
> SQL_ASCII (I saw the special case in chklocale.c), but I'm wondering if
> we should list those names explicitely.

Since we're already special-casing C/POSIX, I don't see a need.
It looks a bit hopeless to keep up with all the possibilities anyway
--- by my count we've tested four different platforms so far and
gotten four different answers for the CODESET name for C :-(

Linux ANSI_X3.4-1968
Darwin (empty)
Solaris 646
HP-UX roman8