Re: Maintenance question / DB size anomaly...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kurt Overberg <kurt(at)hotdogrecords(dot)com>
Cc: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Maintenance question / DB size anomaly...
Date: 2007-06-20 15:22:37
Lists: pgsql-performance

Kurt Overberg <kurt(at)hotdogrecords(dot)com> writes:
> Okay, so the sl_log_1 TABLE looks okay. Its the indexes that seem to
> be messed up, specifically sl_log_1_idx1 seems to think that there's
>>> 300,000 rows in the table its associated with. I just want to fix
> the index, really.

I'm not sure how you arrive at that conclusion. The VACUUM VERBOSE
output you provided here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2007-06/msg00370.php
shows clearly that there are lots of rows in the table as well as
the indexes. A REINDEX would certainly cut the size of the indexes
but it isn't going to do anything about the extraneous rows.

When last heard from, you were working on getting pg_filedump output for
some of the bogus rows --- what was the result?