Re: MD5 salt

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "M(dot) Bastin" <marcbastin(at)mindspring(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MD5 salt
Date: 2003-05-29 15:48:02
Lists: pgsql-novice

"M. Bastin" <marcbastin(at)mindspring(dot)com> writes:
>> Looks right to me. Do you have the MD5 algorithm correct?

> I'm using the one provided with my development tool. Is there some
> way I could calculate a MD5 digest with a known good tool and compare
> it with my result?

Well, you could compute just MD5(Password + User) and compare that to
what's stored in pg_shadow. Another possibility is to add some
debugging printouts to libpq and see what it computes (look at
pg_password_sendauth() in src/interfaces/libpq/fe-auth.c).

It could be something silly like including trailing nulls into what's
processed by MD5 --- I'm pretty sure you should *not* do that, for
either password or user name.